Saturday, January 31, 2009

What Makes Good Fiction?

I want to list the fruits of our discussion of quality in fiction from our first meeting. As I recall, various students suggested that good fiction might
  • be emotionally involving
  • be relatable to readers' lives
  • provide suspense with unresolved actions and problems
  • address topics readers know in advance they enjoy
  • have a good prose style on the part of its writer
  • have distinctive voices on the part of its characters
  • have character development and depth in its protagonist
  • have interesting interactions between its characters
  • have a satisfying resolution at the end
  • offer thought-provoking moral lessons
  • offer thoughtful social comment
  • provide escape from our everyday lives
  • open us to experiences different from our own
Feel free in comments to add to these or consider whether what we're reading works on any of these terms.

2 comments:

  1. I think having a distinct good guy and bad guy could also add to making good fiction. I don't think that ever good work of fiction necessarliy needs to have this; however, I have found that most do.
    -Carisa Auge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that in regards to providing escape from our everyday lives that what we really look for is a "suspension from reality." I heard this phrase used from my friend and I think it really fits in with what I look for in fiction. What makes fiction different from non-fiction is that there are elements to the story that are not bound by the everyday laws of the world. Anything could happen, and I think people like fiction for that reason, the impossible becomes possible.

    ReplyDelete